Sunday, June 18, 2006

Cheese Book

Confession time: I don't speak Spanish, so when I first saw the ads for the new Jack Black vehicle, Nacho Libre, my best guess based on the few Spanish words I did know and my rudimentary knowledge of Latin roots, was that the title meant "Cheese Book." A friend who knew better let me know that Libre is a name for Mexican masked wrestlers and Nacho is the name of Black's character.

The movie debute this past week and the reviews are almost universally bad. Some have even gone as far as calling the movie racist in its portrayal of Mexcians. And that made me wonder about how movies are actually pitched in Hollyweird. Jack Black as a Mexican wrestler? Was there actually even one person who heard this pitch and thought this was a good idea? Was their a producer somewhere with millions of dollars just lying around and nothing to spend it on? Just watching the trailers for this movie made me wished he'd spent it on a new boob job for his trophy wife.

I felt the same way when Monkey Bone came out. When movies like this are being shot, do you think that the cast and crew are aware that they're making a bomb or are they actually thinking that this is going to be great?

How can you make a piece of garbage like this and not realize it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home